Monday, April 26, 2010

The Sorrow of War - The non-lineal time scheme.

An aspect that interested me is the non-lineal time scheme present in the book.
It is as Kien is just writing as it comes to him without any clear order or reason. The story frequently has analepsis', dating back from his childhood to wartimes.
The style of the book is like a metaphor to the war, as nothing is planned and you can never guess what comes next, for me, this shows just how much the war has impacted and changed his life - consciously and unconsciously.
At first, it is hard to comprehend and I found that I was often second guessing my initial thoughts, not too sure about what tense he is talking in. But I found as the story progresses and the unreadable pattern continues, I became accustomed to the flashbacks and the non-lineal time scheme, I think this too is a symbol of war as after enough time passes you grow accustomed to the death and gory surprises and stop noticing the ever-changing circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment