Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Torvald Helmer

Re-reading the book A Doll's House, trying to get a better insight in the character of Torvald, I noticed a great deal more traits about Torvald that I failed to note the first time. One scene that really stood out and gave me a greater understanding of Torvald was in Act III, near the beginning. Torvald and Nora have just come back from the dance upstairs when Torvald tells Nora how much he cares for her and how "[he wishes] that [Nora] could be threatened by some imminent danger so that [he] could risk everything [he] had - even [his] life itselfs - to save [her]" (page 219), yet just moments later when Torvald has read the letter and that exact situation has presented himself, one where his wife is in need of his help and he is able to "save [her]", his mood changes completely and yells at her; "You've completely wreaked my happiness!", "I shall not allow you to bring up the children...I shouldn't dare trust you with them".

This symbolizes to me Torvald's ego and his hypocrisy which adds another layer to the character. Not only is he a work and status orientated man, believing that he is of the upper most class and standing with a controlling behaviour towards his wife, he is also a hypocrite and very fickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment